Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Challenge

Recently, I have been feeling disgusted with the unequal distribution of resources in the world. I hate the fact that I have so much while people in Haiti, Africa, even Israel and America, are starving to death. I have come up with a plan to right that balance as much as I can.

I have divided my money use into three categories: things for which my parents pay directly, necessities for which I pay with money they give me, and luxuries. Here they are:

Parents pay for:
Tuition
Medical/Psychiatric Expenses
Cell Phone Bill

I use money from them for:
School supplies
Toiletries

Luxuries:
everything else

For the rest of this school year, I will attempt to limit myself to buying only necessities and two luxuries: Purim costume (about ten dollars) and Prom ticket (about twenty dollars). The money I save will be donated to Haiti.

I am not planning to humiliate myself in any way, shape, or form. I know basic sewing: neatly patched clothes can look qutie presentable. Also, despite the "rules" of prom dresses, my dress from last year is very pretty and perfectly capable of being worn again, thank-you-very-much. The world still isn't fair--I still have fresh water, good food, adequate clothing, a roof over my head and an excellent education--but I'm giving all that I can.

To make this more interesting, I will attempt to post every day with an update on my thoughts, feelings, and related events of that day. In preparation for tomorrow, Day 1, I have patched all clothes with holes and feel quite proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!